Refine results



How to Fail at a Job Interview

Here is a useful article about surviving the job interview and the pitfalls to avoid.
After observing the results of 5,000+ interviews and analyzing the patterns of who gets hired and who does not, here are the top 10 ways candidates have failed during the interview process:
1. Asking “What is in it for me?”
A potential employer is looking for ways that you will add value to their company. If they sense that you are interviewing for the position only for your selfish needs, the interview is over. If you find yourself in this scenario, your chances of a job offer are approximately 7%.
2. The Room Drain
There are three different types of personalities that hiring managers see in interviews. Someone who lights up a room, someone who simply co-exists and adds limited value, and someone who seems to take all the energy out of the room, “the room drain.” A “room drain” tends to have a 15% chance of receiving a job offer while the person who makes a great impression with their personality has a 75% chance of receiving a job offer.
3. Presentation
A great first impression is essential when you are interviewing. If you do not make a great first impression, it is unlikely that the hiring managers are going to assume you will make a better impression in the future. At this point, you have a 35% chance of being offered the position.
4. Trust
Humans naturally assume the trustworthiness of another human within the first five minutes of introduction just from body language. If the potential employer senses that you are not trustworthy, you have a slim chance of being selected for the position.
5. Money
The employer should be the first to bring up any type of discussion about money during an interview. If you are the first to bring up the subject, your chances of getting the job drop by 40%.
6. Attitude
A great attitude during an interview will increase your chances of being hired by 90%; however, if you reflect a poor attitude your chances decrease to 10%.
7. The Job Jumper
Not only do companies want good employees, but they want those good employees to be loyal and provide service to them for a long period of time.  During an interview, a hiring manager will have already assumed how loyal you are based upon your employment history. If your job history shows that you have had more than three movements to different employers within the past five years, you may be classified as a “job jumper” (unless you have been classified as a temporary employee). Candidates that are classified as “job jumpers” typically have a 40% chance of being hired.
8. The Entrepreneur
Many businesses do like to hire decision makers that have the personality traits of entrepreneurs.  However, if you consider yourself an entrepreneur, you should never bring up the idea of starting your own company during a job interview.  This will demolish your chances of being hired.
9. Linkedin Profile v. Resume
Linkedin a great tool for networking and job searching since your employment history and information is readily available for any interested hiring manager to see. However, if you rely on your Linkedin profile to act as your resume for interviews, your chances for receiving a job offer drop down to 20%.  If you are asked for your resume and respond with “Just check my Linkedin profile,” your response will reflect poorly among potential employers.  You will leave an impression that you are too lazy to create a presentable resume and to submit that resume as requested.
10. Refusing a Physical
Taking a physical is normally a step closer to being hired at many companies. If you are asked by your potential employer to take a physical (or drug screening test) and refuse to do so, your chances of being hired are 0%.
This article is based on editorial by Matt Fuhrman on 20-08-2014.  Matt is the Managing Director and the founder of Core Group Resources, a recruitment and staffing consultancy.
Filed under
Date published